Saturday, June 22, 2013

New pattern: Snowy Pines

I am very excited to announce that I have a sock pattern coming out in the new book American Sock Knitting.
Photo (c) American Gift Knitting

This book is a collection of 13 sock patterns inspired by different states, including socks from Ohio, Oregon, Kentucky, Arizona, North Carolina, New Jersey and Massachusetts. There is so much variety in the collection - cables, lace, colorwork - so there's something to appeal to everyone.  The book also includes some travelogues from Beth's favorite places and five recipes reflecting different regions of the United States.

My contribution, Snowy Pines, was inspired by the woods near my grandparent's house in Maine. It is a great project for a new sock knitter - it's worked in worsted weight yarn (so nice and fast to knit!) from the top down, and includes a stranded colorwork pine tree and snowflake design.

The book is now in preorders until July 15th with a reduced price and free US shipping, and copies will be shipping out soon after that. And since I'm going to have an extra copy, why don't we have a little contest?

Post in the comments about your favorite place, and what sort of sock would be inspired by that place - for example, would it have a lacy motif? Maybe something more rugged, like cables? Or would you need a particular yarn color to capture that place in a sock? I leave the entries open until the end of preorders, July 15th, and then draw a winner. Please note that I won't be getting my hands on the book until mid-August, so there will be a bit of delay in getting it out to you.

And now? Back to carding...

5 comments:

Alli said...

I realize it's shameless that I'm commenting yet again on your blog, but hey, I can never resist a contest! ;) The socks are fab and I love that they're worsted for a quick knit. They actually remind me of one of my fave places - Banff, Alberta - and would make excellent, toasty, ski socks!

aquaphilic said...

Does it matter that I'm not able to knit said pattern that I would want to design?
Normally, I'd be all over a Chicago themed sock - with the skyline/jeweled necklace of parks/l.michigan (grey/black, green, and blue), but my mother just got back from Utah and I think something in desert colors of terra cotta and sage with some sort of natural bridge or hoodoo knitted into it would be kinda cool.
Love, love love the snowy pines socks, porpoise.

Carroll said...

Having just arrived in Breckenridge yesterday, I would love to knit a sock themed on Colorado wildflowers - Lupine, Indian Paintbrush, and, of course, Columbine. I haven't much experience with color work, but it seems this would lend itself well to such a design.

Jess said...

Love your pattern! It might be just the thing I need to finally tackle colorwork!
I'd love to see socks inspired by Manhattan, with a textural (seed stitch, maybe) skyline on the leg, in a dark navy or black-ish yarn with tiny silver beads for the stars.

Jess

J Pop Revolution said...

You're the best