Thursday, August 15, 2013

Holiday stash enhancement

So, after all my agonizing over what knitting projects I was going to bring on vacation, and worrying about whether it was going to be enough, I probably just shouldn't have bothered.
Maine loot! (1)

I may have mentioned in the past that my parents' house is not very far away from Spunky Eclectic. On Tuesday afternoon, it was raining, so JoAnna and I went on a little mini-yarn crawl. First up was Amy's lair of wooly goodness, where I had a bit of a problem showing any restraint whatsoever.

Wool-flax in Lobster - I've been wanting to try this fiber blend for ages, and am really looking forward to it.
SE Wool-flax
Some lovely, squooshy Targhee in "Bunny Kisses" and South African Fine in "Cowering Blueberry",
SE Targhee
SE South African Fine
6 oz of some gorgeous Panda ("Winged Insects") that is destined to become a shawl,
SE Panda
and four cones of Cottolin for some weaving.
Louet Cottolin
Then we headed up Route 1 to Romney Ridge Farm, a place I had never heard of before but which popped up on Knit Map. We had a fabulous time chatting with Kelly (the dyer/shepherdess) and I came home with some of her yarn in the colorway "Cranberry Bog".
Romney Ridge
Romney Ridge - Copy
In fact, it was so irresistible that I wound it up yesterday and cast on for an entrelac cowl.
Romney Ridge (3)
Finally, we headed back home via Halcyon, where I picked up something that is going to keep me busy for a very, very long time:
Inspiration
I am sorely tempted to buy a couple kilos of Falkland and work my way through this book from beginning to end, trying all the variations she describes. I think it would make me a much better spinner, and be huge fun. But I've got to make a list of all the yarns first - I think it's going to be a huge number!

So that's it from the East Coast of the US. Hopefully next week I'll have a new cowl, and a few more posts before I head off into the Yorkshire Dales and the Lake District. Summer vacation sure is fun!

No comments: